Henry Fonda Tea Rose

Henry Fonda Tea Rose
My Special Rose

Friday, February 6, 2009

Three Little Words

It occurred to me as I was enjoying an eggplant sandwich today, that words can be compared to eggplants. You either love them, or you get along nicely with as little of them as possible. For instance, I find it very difficult to simply write, "Love Carole"on any sort of greeting card. If I begin to just add a little note, I start out writing normally, then seeing I'm running out of room, begin making my words smaller and smaller, and usually end up writing up and down and around the edges and on the back. When my youngest daughter was in elementary school, she told me one day how she hated to take the "excuse" notes I wrote to school. She said her teacher always put mine last. I fixed that teacher. The next one said, "She weren't there. She were sick." Let her think what she would.

My best friend, Ginny, solved her Christmas card problem. (I don't think she likes eggplant) She orders cards early and has the family name printed below the greeting. She doesn't even initial them. She hands them off to her attorney husband, who hands them off to his secretary, and she runs them through the office postage meter. Done! However, Ginny has kept every little note or poem I have sent her over the many years of our friendship. She does put little three-word messages on my birthday cards: "I miss you" or "I love you". They certainly suffice.

Then, on the way home from Gainesville last week, my husband and I were chatting happily; going slow in the traffic around Cleveland. I remember we were enjoying a debate about whether sour cream cake donuts were superior to glazed raised donuts. My eyes came to rest on a torn cardboard sign nailed to a creosote fence post. Three little words and a phone number were scrawled there in dark pencil: "I Need Work". They spoke volumes. I have grieved for that man and felt utter frustration ever since. I know he is just one of so many that are in this terrible situation. I keep thinking that this person probably has children, and how much those kids would enjoy a bagful of donuts--most any kind.

2 comments:

Glenda Council Beall said...

Carole, I too, have to write a note. Why send a card without something personal on it.
Your ending to this essay touches my heart as I know there are many who are desperate for work, just as my father was at one time many years ago.
In the 1920's and 3o's my mother and father ran a store and fed many men who were traveling down to Florida looking for work.
Thanks for letting me know you are back to blogging. I'll check in often.

Nancy Simpson said...

Carole, It is good to read your blog. I like this
"Three Little Words" essay very much. It is true. There is hardly anything more valuable than words nor anything more important than simple words that hit straight into the heart. "I need work" are three little words that will keep me awake thinking tonight.

Keep posting and I will keep reading.