Henry Fonda Tea Rose

Henry Fonda Tea Rose
My Special Rose

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love Stuff

Perhaps Valentine's Day has just been dreamed up to put a lot of money in the coffers of the Greeting Card companies, but, with all the gloom and doom news we keep hearing, it IS kind of nice to take even one day to celebrate love. One way or another, every human being needs and wants love, and even when we lose in the game, the Bard says, "It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

After my mother became a widow for the 2nd time, I was comforting her to the best of my ability, and she said something that has really stayed with me: "Not only do you grieve for them, you suddenly realize you're not number one with anyone anymore." She went on with her life, of course, and had lots of love from her children, siblings and extended family, but I knew none of us could give her that special love she missed. That wonderful, mysterious, thing called love between two people that can be immortal, or, sadly, sometimes disappear like a vapor.

Here is a poem I gave to my husband on our 47th anniversary. Almost 10 years later, it still seems to say how much I value being number one with him:

Anniversary Song

We've kept our promises, spoken
or unspoken
in the language life mates adopt.
As birds who commit to mate and nest,
and wait patiently for cheep and sign
to reveal again the reason
for promises made and kept.

And, old love, tried and true, is
our fountain of youth, allowing
love filtered eyes to rest gently,
seeing else but the half that fits
perfectly to each separate,
incomplete soul.

Now, when bluebird calls his mate
in tones soft and scarely heard,
I think of you, my love, and promises
you've whispered to my heart,
and, you must hear my heart's reply:
"You are my life, as long as I live."

Carole

5 comments:

Glenda Council Beall said...

Carole, I hope you bring this poem for CWP next month as we read poems that mention birds.

This poem is a touching verse of love between mature mates who have lived together so long, like me and my husband, that we can't imagine life without each other.
Your mother's words are prophetic. With this life long mate, we always know we are number one.
Thanks for sharing these lovely thoughts with us.

Nancy Simpson said...

Carole, This is a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it.

JLC said...

Sometimes, Carole, it takes someone else to say it for us, and you've done that beautifully. I wrote a poem about our wedding night, but never dared let my husband read it--in part because he wouldn't know what to do with it if I had. Some people can read poetry and some can't. But into our 58th year, it doesn't matter because of what you said in your poem.
Joan

karenh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
karenh said...

Carole,

You truly know how to use language in a wonderful way. My husband and I just celebrated our 30th Anniversary, so your poem really touched me.

Your husband is a lucky guy to have you as his number one for 57 years and counting!

Thanks,
Karen Holmes