Henry Fonda Tea Rose

Henry Fonda Tea Rose
My Special Rose

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Exploring Poetry With Nancy Simpson

Last week, I had the privilege of attending a Poetry class at the John C. Campbell Folk School with Nancy Simpson as instructor. Three of us were day students, Karen Holmes, Barbara Groce, and myself. Barbara and I carpooled, and it made the long drive on winding narrow roads much more pleasant.
Mornings were spent discussing examples of lyrical, meditative and narrative poetry, and even an ancient style of poetry, the Pantoum. We read together Theodore Roethke's Journey into the interior and a selection from Mary Oliver's book Why I wake Early, called "Bone". I found Billy Collin's exerpt from his book, Picnic Lightning, called The Death of the Hat to be a fascinating example of Meditative poetry. When we began reading examples of Narrative poems, which tell a story, the two examples we studied were Bettie Sellers' , Liza's Monday and Robert Morgan's Mountain Bride. Both brought on great discussions, since their themes were mysterious and a bit scary.
After lunch, the five of us gathered in the computer lab and did our best to write examples of the type of poem we had discussed in the morning. If we managed to come up with something, Nancy led a critique session. We read our work, then passed it around for the others to make comments about. Some days we bloomed with creativity. Other days, nothing seemed to come out of my head but garble. Eventually, we all had something to read on Thursday evening to an audience that came to the Keith House to hear us. Nancy feels we were well received. No one worked harder than she did to bring out our best work.
The last day, Friday, I had to miss as I had to take Norman for a kidney stone procedure. Barbara Groce called and told me the class spent their last day talking about getting published, and Nancy gave me the materials she handed out, so that I wouldn't miss too much. It was such a worthwhile week, and meeting new friends was one of the best things about it.
I hope I have another opportunity to attend writing classes at the folk school. It's a wonderful place to be. Thanks so much to you, Nancy

8 comments:

karenh said...

Enjoyed the week with you, Carole and also enjoyed reading this summary of it. You're such a good writer. Hope to see you soon. I would use an exclamation point, but Nancy wouldn't like it.

Glenda Council Beall said...

I'll never forget the first class I had at the Folk School with Nancy in the Orchard House. It was a life changing experience and I've been in love with JCCFS ever since, and you know, like all her students, I love Nancy.

Robyn said...

I also enjoyed the week with you, Carole and the others as well. Like the summary you gave. Hope to see you again soon.(Notice no exclamation point).

Nancy Simpson said...

Thanks for the write up about our class, Carole.

O You women. Talking behind my back.

I love it!

I won't forget any of you as long as I live.

Robyn said...

What can I say, Nancy? We're good at talking, I guess. I'm not sure exactly how one gets a blog "out there" to be seen so if anyone wants to see it, I can give the address for it.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Carole,
I'm so glad you enjoyed Nancy's class at the John C. Campbell Folk School. I've studied many times under her at the Folk School and at Tri-County Community College. She's a great instructor and always moltivates me to write.
I also enjoyed reading and speaking with Glenda Barrett during Nancy's class at the Folk School. I have posted a group photo on my blog at: http://blueridgepoet.blogspot.com
I hope your husband is feeling well.

Robyn said...

I guess Brenda answered my question. Thanks Brenda. Here it is:
http://robyn-practicingpoet.blogspot.com.

Nancy Simpson said...

Robyn, I wrote down your new site address and will visit.

Nancy Simpson