Henry Fonda Tea Rose

Henry Fonda Tea Rose
My Special Rose

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Delightful Dorothea

This morning, "Coffee With the Poets" at Phillips and Lloyd featured Dorothea Spiegel. We who came were treated to a variety of poems from Dorothea's chapbook, "From my Desk". As Dorothea reads, you can hear the twinkle in her eye, telling you she doesn't take much in life too seriously. Her witty, insightful poems often have a little "twist" at the end, which always brings a smile, a sort of "Yes, that's so true!" moment for the listeners. One poem, however, caught me by surprise, because it revealed a passionate understanding of a man. Her man. Enjoy:
A MAN
I said to myself, "How great a man!"
People listen to him, and his word is law",
and I watched you and glowed with pride,
but I carefully kept my feelings inside.
Then I saw you were a mortal man:
concerned, confused, guilt-ridden, shy,
kind-hearted, angry, hurt and proud,
and my feelings almost spoke aloud!
I asked myself, "What is a man?"
And now, my feelings all unleashed
here in your arms, at last I can
answer myself, "This is a man."
Dorothea Spiegel

3 comments:

Nancy Simpson said...

Hi Carole, I enjoyed Coffee With the Poets and especially enjoyed Dorothea's reading. Love this man poem.

Glenda Council Beall said...

Thanks for sharing this poem, Carole.
Dorothea is a treasure of Netwest and all poets who have the opportunity to hear her read or read her poems.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Carole,
I enjoyed Coffee With the Poets very much. Dorothea did an excellent job reading and I'm sure everyone enjoyed her work very much. I also was inspired by your poetry reading. Glad you've finished your quilt. I'm sure it is beautiful.