Henry Fonda Tea Rose

Henry Fonda Tea Rose
My Special Rose

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

We Had Birds On our Mind

Today was special at Phillips and Lloyd's Bookstore in Hayesville, enjoying another "Coffee With the Poets." Nancy Simpson and Janice Moore were reading selections from the new book, "Poet's Guide Book to the Birds". Both talented ladies had some of their work selected for publication in this highly esteemed publication, which contains works of poet laureates and Nobel Peace Prize winners, as well. We congratulate them on this honor and look forward to owning the book and soaking up all the wonderful poetry relating to our bird friends. Most of us brought some of our own bird poems to read at Open Mike. The tiny creatures are a never ending source of inspiration and delight. Here's one I wrote one Sunday morning when I was dragging my feet getting ready for church. The big window beside our bed offered a delightful view of a robin on the ground right outside. I could see him, but he didn't know I was looking. I felt a bit like a Peeping Tom:

The Voyeur

Half-dressed, sitting on the side of the bed, I watch
the lone Robin, almost within arm's reach, scratching.
Up to his knobby knees in dew soaked grass, he turns an ear,
listening patiently for Worm to make the wrong move.

The window and tree shadow hide my common human form,
muffle my involuntary breathing, while he sets mind to task,
unaware his privacy is being invaded.
Oh, now, he looks up, but I remain still, and he
returns to his breakfast foraging.

We are here together, bird. You do not ponder
religious philosophy this Sunday morning, yet you seem content.
You are in no hurry to sing your praises, and you have all morning
to poke and piddle around, scratching and talking to yourself.
Your feathers look perfectly pressed.

Grandma would say the Devil is sitting on my lap, keeping
me idle, watching you, Robin-what do you think?
Oh, I prefer to believe the Creator gave this gift of you to me.
What? Listen, I cannot watch you longer. I must heed the call of husband,
who waits, with motor running, to whisk me off to sermon and song,
where I shall be tormented by self-righteous underwear and pinch-toe shoes.

Good bye, bird--I envy you!

4 comments:

Glenda Council Beall said...

Carol, I'm so sorry I was ill and could not come to CWP this week. I know it was great. Your poem reminds me of my father who had "falling out" with organized religion and he said he felt closer to the Lord walking over his pastures and fields, listening to and watching God's creatures than he did in church.
I love the self-righteous underware and pinch toe shoes.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Dear Carole:

I love this poem. It is a great poem about robins. I also enjoyed your reading at "Coffee with the Poets" and your quilt was beautiful.

Paula Wolff said...

You just blow me away, Carole. You can always put the words to the thought. That sweet little robin didn't know he was strutting for posterity!
My underwear is happily not self-righteous. Plain and comfy.
Love you, cuz.

Tina said...

I love the knobby knees of the robin. Well said!
Janice Moore will remember me as Adrienne Bond's sister.
Kristina Simms