Henry Fonda Tea Rose

Henry Fonda Tea Rose
My Special Rose

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why are the Bears So Hungry?

This morning, I enjoyed a great time with some bright young women, trying to teach me some more about this amazing world of blogging. I learned a few new things, but just forgot one of the basics: always SAVE your composition before you start previewing it or anything else, so, now I am having to write this all over again.
I was telling Nancy Simpson about the bear visitation here in Wesley Mountain Retirement Village, where I live. She told me about one causing a stir in Andrews, too. Now, tonight, I received an email from Nancy telling me that a young bear came right up onto her patio, which is off her dining room. Nancy said bears have been on her property before, but never come right up to her house before. All these incidents invariably involve bears tring to rob bird feeders. My next door neighbor saw the bear crossing the road in front of his house, and there in the road was his bird feeder, or the top of it, at least. The pole was bent over in his front yard.
Have we had a bumper crop of young bears this year? Or, are they just hungrier? It's still too early for the blueberries and blackberries to be ripe, so I suppose the deep woods' wild berries are not ready either. Anyone else know why the bears are so hungry and bold this year?

5 comments:

Nancy Simpson said...

Carole,it was a young bear but when he stood up, he was as tall as me. He knocked over a table with a clay pot and broke it in his attempt to get the bird feeder on the front deck. I will take the feeder down tomorrow. MY garden has plenty os seeds for the birds. I notice fewer birds coming to the feeder this time of year. They do not need it as well.

Then he went to the carport and knocked over two trash cans. One was locked correctly and nothing came out. One was not locked tightly and it opened but nothing fell out. That is when I went out to introduce myself . Having no manners, he ran off before I could get his name and ask him if he writes poems.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Carole, we had a big bear in our yard around Memorial Day - right in the middle of the afternoon. Like you, I did a post about it. It certainly makes for some excitement.

It was nice to visit with you yesterday and have a chance to get to know you better.
Sam

Glenda Council Beall said...

From my knowledge of bears, which isn't all that much, the young are driven off at a certain time when the mama is ready to have new babies, so these may be young guys who are searching for a territory. Much of the territory is taken up now with houses, people and developments. The old male bears have their territory and won't let young ones come in, so the junior guys have to search for a place. Now many of them are going into the Atlanta area into subdivisions. I've known many who have had bears come up on their decks in search of bird seed. If you see one, as Nancy did, and they found food, you'd best be sure there is never anything left there in the future for them because they will come back.
We haven't had one come on our deck. Where was Sasha, Nancy?

Nancy Simpson said...

Hi Carole, Sam and Glenda,
Yes, Sasha was on guard duty. It was her bear bark that alerted me to the crashing sound on the deck. All afternoon and evening, Sasha could not find peace. She circled and circled our knoll, barking up into the woods on one side and crashing down into the woods on the other side. Nugget did not seem to have a clue what she barking at. He did not want to go out and find out either. But, this morning I watched him go out onto the carport. His nose was up and sniffing the air. No sign of the bear today.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Carole,
I'm glad you enjoyed the blogging workshop. I wish I could have attended, but we had a family reunion. Sounds like the bears are having a family reunion around our homes. They are looking for food, maybe blackberries since they are beginning to ripen here.